Frequently Asked Questions
What questions do you have? We are developing our FAQs...please submit questions to us via email.
- Where can I purchase a BirdCam?
- What is the difference between a BirdCam and a Game Camera (or Trail Camera)?
- How does the BirdCam compare to other Bird cameras on the market?
- Does the BirdCam work at night? Is there a flash?
- Does the BirdCam come with everything I need to start using it right away?
1. Where can I purchase a BirdCam?
We sell the BirdCam direct on this website and by phone (888) 811-WING. However, our focus is on finding new dealers to carry the BirdCam. Please tell your local birding retailer about the Wingscapes BirdCam.
Find A Dealer
Interested in becoming a dealer?
2. What is the difference between a BirdCam and a Game Camera (or Trail Camera)?
Motion-activated cameras have been used for years by hunters to monitor wildlife. Visit a hunting retailer and you will find many brands and models of these "Game" or "Trail" Cameras. THESE WILL NOT WORK WITH WILD BIRDS.
Game Cameras are excellent at what are designed to do - capture large animals like deer. However, they will NOT work with wild birds for several reasons. First, these cameras are calibrated to disregard movement of small animals like squirrels and birds. Second, they are designed to capture a larger field of view and photograph larger subjects. Third, they are often designed for low-light photography in deep, shaded woods and at night. Finally, there are numerous smaller design issues that prevent these cameras from being effective with wild birds.
In contrast, the BirdCam was designed to detect small animals such as birds while disregarding feeder movement. The lens system and camera software are calibrated for daylight photography of colorful, small subjects at close range.
The BirdCam will work with larger animals. However, if you are looking for a specialized system for larger animals, we recommend Moultrie Game Cameras.
3. How does the BirdCam compare to other Bird cameras on the market?
Digital technology is only beginning to enter the bird watching market. There are a handful of other companies offering camera products to bird watchers. We feel our product is unquestionably the best on the market and invite you to confirm this by doing your own research. If you do compare the BirdCam to other products, keep the following features of the Wingscapes BirdCam in mind...
- Works with hanging feeders (feeder movement rarely triggers the BirdCam)
- NO WIRES to run
- Automatically records photos and videos that are ready to use on your computer. Other camera simply deliver a live feed to your TV, leaving quite a technical challenge if you want to save, email, or share images
- Can be mounted 18" or farther from a target
4. Does the BirdCam work at night? Is there a flash?
No and no. A "photocell" on the BirdCam turns it off at sunset and back on at sunrise. It will take images at dawn and dusk, but shuts down at night to conserve battery power.
5. Does the BirdCam come with everything I need to start using it right away?
You will need to buy four (4) D cell batteries. Everything else you need is included.
Many users will want to buy an SD memory card to use with the BirdCam. This will expand the storage capacity and also allow you to move images to a computer without bring the BirdCam inside. SD memory cards are widely available at camera and electronic stores.
Wingscapes offers several useful BirdCam accessories, including the BirdCam Mounting Arm for attaching to common feeder pole or post.