Hummingbirds are one of the most fascinating creatures in the animal kingdom. With their incredible speed and agility, these tiny birds are a wonder to behold. But did you know that you can attract these beautiful birds to your own yard? In this blog, we'll explore some fascinating facts about hummingbirds and give you some tips on how to attract them to your yard.
FASCINATING FACTS ABOUT HUMMINGBIRDS:
- Hummingbirds are the smallest birds in the world. They are typically 3 to 5 inches long and weigh only a few grams.
- Hummingbirds are incredibly fast. They can fly up to 60 miles per hour and beat their wings up to 80 times per second.
- Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly backward. This is because they are able to flap their wings in a figure-eight motion, which allows them to hover in place and even fly backward.
- Hummingbirds have an incredible sense of sight. They are able to see ultraviolet light, which allows them to see colors and patterns that are invisible to humans.
- Hummingbirds have a high metabolism. They need to eat almost constantly in order to maintain their energy levels. They typically consume nectar, insects, and pollen.
HOW TO ATTRACT HUMMINGBIRDS TO YOUR YARD
If you want to attract hummingbirds to your yard, there are a few things you can do to make your space more inviting to these tiny creatures.
1) Plant flowers that hummingbirds love. Hummingbirds are attracted to bright, colorful flowers with a lot of nectar. Some popular flowers for hummingbirds include bee balm, salvia, and fuchsia.
2) Hang hummingbird feeders. Hummingbird feeders are a great way to supplement the natural nectar that hummingbirds would find in flowers. Fill your feeder with a mixture of sugar water (one part sugar to four parts water) and hang it in a spot where you can easily observe the birds.
3) Provide a water source. Hummingbirds need water to drink and to bathe. A simple bird bath or even a shallow dish of water can provide a much-needed resource for these birds.
4) Avoid using pesticides. Pesticides can be harmful to hummingbirds, as well as other wildlife. Instead, try using natural methods to control pests in your yard.
5) Create a safe environment. Hummingbirds are vulnerable to predators like cats and hawks. Make sure your yard has plenty of places for hummingbirds to hide, such as bushes and trees.
Hummingbirds are amazing creatures that are sure to delight anyone who sees them. By planting the right flowers, hanging a hummingbird feeder, providing a water source, avoiding pesticides, and creating a safe environment, you can attract these tiny birds to your yard and enjoy their beauty and grace up close.
Do you love Hummingbirds as much as we do? Express your passion and admiration for these tiny, colorful birds with a hand-drawn WINGSCAPES Hummingbird T-Shirt!